Meeting

From GNU MediaGoblin Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

MediaGoblin Monthly Meeting

When: 9:00 am Pacific Time first Saturday of the month. Convert time to your timezone. Print current UTC time: date -u +"It's %F %T UTC". Pacific Time in 2014 has DST between March 9th and November 2nd.

Where: IRC #mediagoblin on irc.freenode.net

Always announced several days in advance on the mailing list as is date adjustments, agenda discussion and other meeting preparation.

Purpose: The idea is to discuss the past month, what happened, what was good, what should be done better. And to create roadmap for the upcoming month and assign tasks to people willing to handle them.

Typical Agenda topics:

  • What happened in the last month, what was good, what could be better next time?
  • What should be done next month?

Meetings are logged. See below for logs of each meeting.

Next Meeting

Every first Saturday of the month with JIT-compiled agenda.

Oct 1, 2016

Past Meetings

Sept 4, 2016, 17:00 UTC

20160904_Log


May 7, 2016

April 2, 2016, 17:00 UTC

  • 0.9.0 release (done!)
  • GSoC
  • 1.0

20160402_Log


March 5, 2016, 9:00AM Pacific Time, 17:00 UTC

  • 0.9.0 release (imminent!)
  • GSoC
    • Project ideas
    • Interested mentors?
  • Federation mini-update

20160305_Log


February 6, 2016, 9:00AM Pacific Time, 17:00 UTC

  • Continuous integration / Commit Notifications
  • Move sqlite to development-only? (no more migrations)
  • Upcoming 0.9.0 release
  • Path to 1.0
  • Stripe retreat update
  • ActivityPub update (related!)
  • GSOC ideas, and volunteers?

20160206_Log

January 2, 2016, 9:00AM Pacific Time, 17:00 UTC

  • 0.9.0
  • FOSDEM
  • 0.8.2

20160102_Log

November 7, 2015, 9:00AM Pacific Time, 17:00 UTC

  • 0.8.1 and 0.9.0
  • Activipy and W3C Social WG stuff
  • Help squash bugs!
  • Revisiting the code / issue hosting situation??

March 7, 2015, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 17:00 UTC

  • Moving off of gitorious, to?
  • 0.8.0 upcoming release
  • LibrePlanet and W3C meeting
  • GSoC 2015
  • Heads up: UserOps list
  • Federation status
  • Chris to take a temporary break?

December 6, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 17:00 UTC

  • 0.8.0 upcoming release
    • Current state (including looking at issue list)
    • How to help!
      • Help us fix issues!
      • Documentation (check it! improve it!)
      • Gstreamer 1.0 merge?
      • Help test!
      • Translate? (Maybe, but maybe not yet?)
  • Translation talk, if breton is around
  • Update on federation
  • Update on W3C group

November 1, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

Loose meeting structure :)

October 4, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

  • 0.8.0 progress
    • Python 3 is in!
    • Cleanup happening
    • What's next
      • Gstreamer 1.0 merge
      • Search merge
      • Tickets!
  • Autoconf update
  • Breton's translation update
  • Federation update
  • Deployment research update
  • Add your things!

September 6, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

  • Things happened! Horray!
    • 0.7.0 is out!
    • GSoC is done!
  • Transifex move... help!
  • 0.8.0 planning
  • Updates on federation
  • Updates on campaign-todo-items
  • Premium hosting and deployment
  • Documentation updates ( j1mc )
  • Triage day! And the new setup!
  • Help on reviewing?
  • Epicanis' feature questions


August 2, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

  • GSoC updates
  • State of 0.7.0
  • State of Federation
  • State of post-campaign stuff (rewards, etc)
  • General community updates
  • Feedback: how are things going?


June 7, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

  • GSoC updates
  • Researchcation brief summary
  • Campaign-related updates
  • Upcoming release
  • Code reviews

May 3, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

  • GSoC starts!
  • Post campaign updates!
    • Horray, we did it!
    • Unlocked features
    • The rewards
    • Premium hosting brainstorm
    • Extra features brainstorm
  • Metadata discussion
  • Chris' researchcation
    • Federation stuff
    • Deployment stuff
    • Other stuff?
  • Help review!
  • Add your items HERE!


March 1st, 2014, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 17:00 UTC

November 2nd, 2013, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

Pretty loose on the schedule this month? :)

  • Post-conference wrapup stuff?
  • What's ahead in the next year for MediaGoblin?

October 5th, 2013, 09:00AM Pacific Time, 16:00 UTC

  • Post-OPW/GSoC wrapup discussion
  • Huge pile of code to review
  • Planning out 0.6.0
  • Road to 1.0
  • mediagoblin.org changes
  • GNU 30th recap, upcoming conferences
  • MediaGoblin's graphic design?

September 7th, 2013

  • 0.5.0 release recap!
  • Next release: 0.6.0!
  • GSoC/OPW updates
  • Review queue that needs attention
  • GNU 30th! (and traveling)
  • Other things???

August 3rd, 2013 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-08-03 16:00 UTC)

  • Configure && make merge
  • 0.5.0 plans
  • GSoC / OPW updates
  • GNU 30th birthday party / GoblinCon? :)
  • Documentation overhaul
  • Reprocessing
  • Bonus topics
    • Mumble server
    • XUDD

July 6th, 2013 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-07-06 16:00 UTC)

  • 0.4.0 is out! On to 0.4.1!
  • OPW/GSoC update
  • Federation status
  • Module owners (and reducing the "Chris Webber bottleneck")?
    • Projects like Blender, the Linux Kernel, and qemu have "module owners", people responsible for a domain of the code
    • Could/should MediaGoblin do the same?
    • How would that be broken up?

Jun 1st, 2013 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-06-01 16:00 UTC)

  • Welcoming our GSoC and OPW interns
  • The coming 0.4.0
  • What's after 0.4.0?
  • RTL


May 4th, 2013, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-05-04 16:00 UTC)

May 4th, 2013, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-05-04 16:00 UTC)

  • GSOC and Gnome Outreach for Women participation update
  • Mention the bug triage meeting
  • Improving our unit tests?
  • 0.4.0 release coming soon
  • Help review code?
  • Thanking simonft for sysadmin help!

April 6, 2013, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-03-30 16:00 UTC)

  • Plugins update
  • Post-libreplanet sprint merging
  • Gstreamer 1.0 stuff (if Joar is here!)
  • GSOC and Gnome Outreach for Women participation
  •  ???

March 2nd, 2013, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-03-02 16:00 UTC)

  • Bug triage day discussion
  • Upgrading Trac to 1.0
  • Next release: 0.3.3
  • Consider have release dates?
  • Plugin stystem
  • Consider moving to GStreamer 1.0
    • Debian - 1.0 in sid
    • Ubuntu - 1.0 in 12.10
      • Possibly backports for 12.04
    • Fedora - 1.0 in 18
  • Upcoming conferences and hackathons

February 9th, 2013, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2013-02-09 16:00 UTC)

  • 0.3.3 milestone! What about our next release? :)
  • Where to put Developer docs?
    Our Documentation for developers is currently a bit split. Some are on the wiki, some in the main docs. There are pros and cons for both. We should consider where to put things. One place? Which? Or decide on an individual basis?
    Good about main docs: Easy to integrate source code doc strings. That way internal api docs can be kept mostly up to date.
    Good about wiki: Doesn't feel so "set in stone".
  • wiki spam: Do we want to change something?
  • Designing features!
  • Plugins, and architecting for plugins
  • Chris Webber gives updates on how he's settling into his role ;)

October 13th, 2012, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2012-10-13 16:00 UTC)

  • 0.3.2 release
    • What existing features need to be wrapped up?
      • Werkzeug switch
    • What time might we do the release?
  • Fundraising campaign
    • Keeping things going mid-campaign
    • You have questions? I have answers, kinda :)
  • Getting new contributors involved
  • Plugins? New features?

Etherpad

AGENDA

     0.3.2 release 

     What existing features need to be wrapped up? 

     Werkzeug switch 

     What time might we do the release? 

    Congrats to Deb from the mediagoblin team! Congrats de Deb!

     Fundraising campaign 

     Keeping things going mid-campaign 

     You have questions?  I have answers, kinda :) 

     Getting new contributors involved 

     Plugins?  New features? 

-- http://wiki.mediagoblin.org/Meeting#Next_Meeting
Fundraising stuff
Things are going great mostly when people check it out!
But how to spread the word?

    should contact more podcasts, etc

    currently working with FSF on this

    need community to spread the word!

    List of places already spreaded list and contacted

VideoThumbnailerMarkII
New video thumbnailer, rewritten to try to eliminate a bug in the old one where processing would stall.
New bugs introduce (of course ;)
Collections
Merged - Thanks aaronw!
WebOb => Werkzeug switch
Made some things break. Need help with testing + bugfixes
borked stuffs:

    Accessing paths without trailing slashes, e.g. /submit (instead of /submit/)

    Still a lot of legacy WebOb responses (such as webob.exc.HTTPFound() HTTPForbidden() left)

API
Delivered to mrn.is, tryggvib will test it and get back with feedback.
Working, still a lot of room for improvements.
Mostly done, usable, still room for improvements. Example applications:

    https://github.com/jwandborg/automgtic

    https://github.com/jwandborg/omgmg

September 1st, 2012, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2012-09-01 16:00 UTC)

IRC log

  • FIXME - can someone type in summary here?

August 4th, 2012, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2012-08-04 16:00 UTC)

IRC log

  • Release schedule
  • Plugins and themes! Who's working on one? What problems are you having? -- Please write up issues for problems so they can get fixed!
  • Should we namespace plugins? If so, how should we namespace plugins?
    • Python 3.3 will have support for namespace plugins. [1]
    • In Python >=2.3, <3.3 it's a hack [2][3]
    • Flask has a workaround[4]

July 7th, 2012, 9:00 am Pacific Time (2012-07-07 16:00 UTC)

IRC log

Announcements:

Agenda:

  • Keyboard shortcuts (#346)
  • Ticket triaging?
  • Base plugin stuff!
  • Theming
  • Conference: OSCON
  • Chris Webber's new "office hours"

June 2nd, 2012, 9:00 am Pacific Time

IRC log

  • docs changes
    • Will split the docs/ guide into a Site Administrator's Guide and a Plugin Writer's Guide
    • Has anyone looked at the Plugin Writer's Guide, yet?
    • Will wants to add a "Contributor's Guide" to docs/ which he'd update from the wiki before every release
  • Is there a way to improve our unit tests and motivation to write them?
    • Simulating a browser by the way of PhantomJS, Selenium instead of having code simulating other code against itself might be more natural to write and even more testing the actual application. I have a good feeling about this, please prove me wrong if I'd be. --Joar 08:53, 28 May 2012 (EDT)
  • Administrative panel/tools and user uploads panel
  • Git and tickets
  • Plugins
    • What's the state of things?
    • Documentation
    • What plugins might we want to build for this upcoming release?
    • What things do we currently have that we might want to pluginify?
  • State of kuneco/federation mini-update (Chris)

May 5th, 2012, 9:00 am Pacific Time

IRC log

  • Post-release reflections
    • Woohoo, release!
    • How did this release process go?
      • We should talk about that conference.
    • What's left to clean up?
      • Mongokit->SQL "style" query conversion?
      • Other cruft code?
  • What are our next goals?
    • Plugins
    • Federation
    • Favoriting
      • Take that, Pinterest! ;)
    • Galleries
    • Theming
      • Using sass would be neat
    • Access restrictions
      • User management, or having a "secret url" that is not in the photo index that you can share with friends and generate as needed for any media type
    • What about traffic? Some of us will host GMG on limited plans.
    • Some kind of coding guidelines? Do we have a philosophy like "Keep it Simple, Stupid"
      • This concerns things like: Should plugins land in core eventually, do we want to support ALL THE MEDIA TYPES, ...
    • Podcasting support?
    • Things that have been hanging???
    • Bugtrackers and milestone?
    • More??? We should organize things!
  • jancborchardt and his team of UX wizard-students
  • Website redesign
  • OpenShift?


April 7th, 2012, 4:00 pm UTC

IRC log

  • Post-SQL stuff
  • Pending 0.0.3 release!
  • Are there stray patches/branches to be merged?
  • Our glorious upcoming plugin future! (Update from Will)

March 3rd, 2012, 9:00 am Pacific Time

IRC log

  • GSOC 2012
  • State of the SQL transition (preview: it's super close, but we need help!)
  • Plugin discussion (Will can't make this, but we should talk about use cases)
  • MediaGoblin at upcoming conferences
  • PageKite accounts


2012-02 (held on 2012-02-04)

IRC log

Some of the decisions:

  • file an issue about proper <audio> support.
  • some TODOs recorded


2011-12 (held on 2011-12-03)

IRC log

  • We plan to create a plugin system. Do we want to create that soon or push it off until things settle a bit more? (Willkg 08:54, 10 November 2011 (EST))
  • Feature Ideas: What should we do about the wiki page? Keep it and have it as a monthly topic for "what next"? Convert everything to long waiting bugs?
  • Possibility of an SQL Database Backend?
    'executive summary' (well, you should read the long docs): "We could move to sql. It's probably replacing one type of pain by another type of pain, but those are somewhat comparable. Leaving the main question: Do we want to occupy our main devs for some long time with this task and loose momentum?"
  • Schendje's activities proposal
  • "Coming up next" blogpost draft by Deb Nicholson
  • Jef's requests:
    • Ticket #466 "Use of "Submit" in site copy is sterile and not as friendly and welcoming as it could be". I'd really like to change this soon to something more suitable. How can we improve the wording here? Some alternatives have been mentioned in the bug report, but which one should we pick? Link: http://bugs.foocorp.net/issues/466
    • The concept and naming of "favourites". We'll (hopefully) be able to "favourite" media soon, which I *think* means that 1) it'll work like a "I like this" comment, a quick token of appreciation, 2) it'll be added to your list of favourites so you can save and promote it, and 3) we could maybe use the number of favourites as a ranking. What I'd like to know is: is that the intended purpose? If so, should we name them favo(u)rites or something else? "Like", "love", "save", "appreciate", "heart", "high five" and many more could all be contenders. And the name should be consistent with the action and purpose, of course. So I'd like to clear up how and why we will use favourites and what we should call them.


2011-11 (held on 2011-11-05)

IRC log

  • What happened in the last month, what was good, what could be better next time?
    • Release:
      • Good: 0.1.0 released!
      • Bad: postponing vs not postponing
    • Sites and deployment documentation:
      • Good: new mediagoblin.org
      • Good: deployment documentation
      • Bad: py-bcrypt’s site was down just after the release, so the virtualenv deployment didn’t work, and it wasn’t clear how to fix it.
    • Live instances:
      • Joar has a live instance!
      • But what does it mean? Should ordinary users start using it?
      • nyergler added a note about "heartbeat"/status to API notes
  • What should be done next month?
  • Starting real work on federation (via OStatus)... and do we split any of this work out into its own library?
  • An API
  • Creative Commons licensing tools
  • Merging in the multimedia/video branch
    (this is *very close* already actually thanks to the hard work of Joar Wandborg! But we need some help on the gstreamer front to fix a few issues... if you or someone you know is an expert in this area we could really use their help to make the videos that come out smoother!)
  • Rollover items from 0.1.0
  • Multiple file upload interface
  • Drag and drop uploads interface (probably related!)


2011-10 (held on 2011-10-01)

IRC log

This month's meeting was a quickly announced short meeting. The project is getting back on track and next month's meeting will be scheduled more properly. A bunch of people were around.

The most important decisions:

  • The project will keep monthly releases. They're the heartbeat of the project.
  • Release 0.1.0 this sunday/monday.
  • New website will hopefully be deployed in the next few days.
  • And the following things are planned to happen during this month: Most importantly federation. The developers have decided to make up their minds on what federation aactually should mean for MediaGoblin. Concerning code, probably "activity streams" are the first goal. If there is no (good) python library for this, a new stand alone library may be created. If so, a name for it has to be found. It should have something about communication in it. And the other thing to happen during this month is an ongoing discussion about "bus factor".


2011-09 (held on 2011-09-03)

IRC log


2011-08 (held on 2011-08-06)

IRC log

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox