User Experience Past Notes
back to User Experience
Notes for 0.0.4
From Justin, on Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Google Chrome on 8.16.2011
- username incorporated hyper-link "sk00's media" looks cheesy if username is underlined/a different color in order to signify a link: i have a hunch hundreds of users will click their own user name/other user's user names expecting to be returned to the respective profile. this is strictly personal preference and entirely aesthetic.
- is it possible to allow a user's profile website link to display tag other than "www.example.com/92921398/#/"? like using ahref code, but automatic? i know i'm reluctant to click on and/or care about a link which appears like the example i've provided.
- CAPCHA! without this it is much more likely to become an image dumping plant like imageshack and the like.
- UPDATE: my delete button is not linked/clickable/functioning.
From Justin on XP with IE and Chrome on 8.17.2011
- OBSERVATION:My first account "sk00" was registered with a gmail address and your notification email went to the inbox, whereas my second account "sk00z" was registered with an old aol address and your notification email went into spam. I'm almost certain it had to do with aol sorting for emails from senders named “notice" and gmail not caring so much.
This is probably caused by a difference in AOL and Gmail's spam detection systems. My best guess is that the MediaGoblin sender address does not pass in SPF tests. Gmail's seems to care less about that than AOL.
I know from personal experience that Gmail does not always kick non-SPF-valid emails to the spambox.
--Joar 14:35, 2 September 2011 (EDT)
- SUGGESTION:Are you thinking of including any sort of friend system? Not nearly as intrusive as facebook or myspace, but some way to follow another user as you would on tumblr and the like? If you were posting all sorts of bitchin' images from the time your family went toad licking in Arkansas, then I know I'd want to subscribe to your media channel for unrestrained access to future antics.
From Deb, UX notes on 8.16.2011
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx. It's the Netbook remix version on an Aspire One, with Firefox version 3.6.18 for Ubuntu
- Login page did not prompt for the possibility of forgotten password
- login is really big on netbook, so that not all felds are visible on the screen at once, not ideal for just four fields
- Not clear how you get to a page for adding media from the email verification page.
- The submit box is really large on a netbook, the whole box should be visible on one screen
- The tagging field should have small text underneath it about what format tags should use
- Thumbnails on the little nav buttons from one pic to the other would be nice
- The media submission page could also be scaled for the netbook screen
- people will want to submit multiple images which it seems you can't yet do
- Animated gifs work! Awesome.
Only if the uploaded gif fits in a 640x640px square -- That is because we only produce medium.jpg files when it's necessary (if the original file is more than 640px in height/width) and if we don't create a medium.jpg we'll show the original file on the media page.
--Joar 06:33, 3 September 2011 (EDT)
- Tags seem to be not case sensitive and strip punctuation. Also awesome.
Nelson's notes on 8.13.2011 (paraphrased)
- hey, where's my notification?
- everything is working alright
- successfully uploaded stuff ...
- commenting works
- profile works ...
- is that all I can do?
I'd like to be able to
- find other users
- friend them ... or something
- go somewhere else besides my profile page
- download original image
- see full-size image
- use a public server
- go to a real domain and make it public
I played around on 2011-09-02 (Iceweasel on Debian)
- A user icon/avatar on the profile and for use when commenting would be cool.
- On the first page after email verification there is both a "submit media" and an "add media" option/button which might be confusing as it's likely to be the first time someone is visiting and they can't know that the "submit media" button is always there.
- Maybe have an instruction on the profile page under the images (or on hover) to click on the image to enlarge and/or edit it as it's not obvious.
- Noted that the profile page would not display added images unless they were tagged
- Noted the profile information (even though the "profile edited!" message was received) would not display unless a website was entered as well. Also noted that the website field required properly formatted urls, most people are probably just going to plug in "www...", if they have a web page at all.
- The "X" for the navigation between pictures is confusing (I think most people associate it with "delete"). Maybe have it say something like "Nothing more here" or have a picture of a sad goblin, etc. instead.
- Get a "the file doesn't seem to be an image!" message when I try to upload an .xcf file. Maybe consider allowing .xcf as it may be useful for people working on collaborations, etc.
- Images tagged "NSFW" show up on the "Explore" page, maybe an image holder (for those who will voluntarily tag their images) could be useful.
- Animated .gif s aren't animated on the "Explore" page, maybe allow that or display the file name of .gif files as "whatever.gif" to indicate they may be animated.
- I really like the use of coloured bars/text boxes as a recurrent design element :)