GNU MediaGoblin:Community portal
Spam blocking: Questy Captcha
I see you've spambots making lots of new accounts and occasionally making spam pages. (Special:RecentChanges)
I installed ConfirmEdit (it's free-as-in-freedom) on my wiki ( http://en.swpat.org/ ) and spam has dropped to nearly zero. ConfirmEdit offers a few captchas but I think QuestyCaptcha is by far the best. It requires new contributors to answer a question if they want to edit anonymously or make an account. There are no questions supplied, so each wiki has to write their own. The result is simple for a human but practically impossible for a bot.
- Download it here: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:ExtensionDistributor/ConfirmEdit
- mv ConfirmEdit-MW1.17-r77902.tar.gz WIKIDIRECTORY/extensions/
- untar it there
- Put these lines at the end of LocalSettings.php (change or add as many questions as you like):
require_once( "$IP/extensions/ConfirmEdit/ConfirmEdit.php" ); require_once( "$IP/extensions/ConfirmEdit/QuestyCaptcha.php"); $wgCaptchaClass = 'QuestyCaptcha'; $wgCaptchaQuestions = array( 'question' => "What colour is grass", 'answer' => "green" ); $wgCaptchaQuestions = array( 'question' => "What do most people sleep in at night? (3 letters)", 'answer' => "bed" );
5. In WIKIDIRECTORY/extensions/ConfirmEdit/ConfirmEdit.php, make two changes:
- Search for the following, and change it to "true":
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['skipcaptcha'] = false;
- Search for the following, and change it also to "true":
$wgCaptchaTriggers['edit'] = false; // Would check on every edit
I do still get a trickle of spam, which I found surprising. Maybe some of the spam networks that target my wiki include groups of humans, but only a small fraction have good enough English to answer my silly questions.
In contrast, requiring email confirmation is inconvenient for well-intentioned visitors and probably doesn't block any spambots. Automating the response is probably trivial for a spambot author (although I haven't tested to see if it does reduce spam). In any case, QuestyCaptcha should be enough.
Hope that helps, and best of luck with GNU MediaGoblin! Ciaran 17:58, 2 May 2012 (EDT)